Monday, December 13, 2010

Vitamin D Fix - Cabo San Jose, Mexico


The week during and after Thanksgiving I was fortunate enough to visit friends and fam in Southern California and attend a long-awaited wedding in Cabo San Jose. LA, San Diego and Orange County was great - had fun with everyone, fed the In & Out craving, of course and even spent a few hours at South Coast Plaza for Black Friday.

The first week of December I stayed at Cabo Azul to attend the wedding of close college friends and was actually a part of the wedding party. The resort was amazing, the pool and villas were the best part! The wedding chapel in the resort was such a sight! Almost made me want to get married all over again. (ok, maybe not) The best part was partying with old friends, making new ones and having filipino food for breakfast almost every day. If you don't know what a filipino breakfast consists of, it includes: longaniza (sweet sausage), canned corned beef with potato and eggs, over easy eggs, tropical fruits and the staple white rice. And if you stay at Cabo Azul, you have to try their shrimp tempura tacos. I know, I know, shrimp tempura tacos? Not the signature dish that you'll find at a Mexican tacqueria on Mission St., but definitely worth a taste, especially if you order from the stools at the bar while literally sitting in the pool. Needless to say, there were plenty mojitos and basking in the 80 degree sun for a couple days.

Upon begrudgingly arriving back to 30 degree NYC, armed with scarf, gloves, thermal, knit hat and down jacket, I checked my voicemail after 5 days and had a very alarming call from my doctor's office. During my physical my doctor had done a series of blood tests, including my vitamin D levels. Apparently, I was very deficient and need supplements to get it back to an acceptable level. Sunshine is apparently the #1 source for Vitamin D. Now, if only there's a way I can make my way down to Mexico again for a natural supplement fix. I could use the chance again to get a wicked tan.

No comments:

Post a Comment