Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Shovelling the Snowy Road to the MBA

No snowstorm stopping us now!

Visa applications were submitted this week, after a tedious process and much money spent to expedite. In one month I'll skip to the Spanish consulate and pick up our Visas!

Now that the goal of attaining an MBA is getting closer, I'm reflecting on the steps I've taken to actually come to this point. A graduate degree was a goal that I've always thought about, but I needed to pursue it when it was the right time and for the right reasons. Midway into my career, I feel that I'm at a good place where I can confidently contribute my experience to a high level program. And at the same time, really gain new knowledge to make me a more desired professional, whether it's working for another company or doing my own thing. I also want to leverage this degree towards a career I enjoy, using the skills to create and solve challenges.

Another point that has nudged me in this MBA pursuit is the representation, or lack thereof, of women in upper management positions. I've been lucky enough to work with companies with women high level executives, but overall, there is still an underrepresentation of women in business. Another interesting tidbit to mention is that there still is a low ratio of women pursuing an MBA. The average is just about 3 out of 10. I'm not saying that there's a direct correlation of men and women who have MBA's to those in higher management positions with the degrees, but it's definitely something to note.

Taking the time for an MBA is a huge investment in terms of career building, but there are also compromises that are made. Hopefully, in the long run I will reap great rewards. Here's an article on options for women to get on the road to their graduate degree and they'll find that it's doable. A women's point of view: Is it the right time to do an MBA?


Even the snowiest January in NYC ever (38") can't block the road to the MBA.


Here are some snow photos from my neighborhood.











No comments:

Post a Comment